Thread: Pechauer weight bolt colors

Default Pechauer weight bolt colors

It is my understanding that the weight bolts in Pechauer cues are color coded. Does anyone know what the colors are? I believe that my cue is a 19 oz. and has a yellow colored bolt head. I'm toying with the idea of removing the weight bolt. My guess is that this would take me down to about an 18 oz. since that's the lightest that Pechauer's come.

Along the same lines, is there anything I should be aware of if I decide to remove the bolt. I don't want to pull it out and then decide to put it back in and wind up with a buzz in my cue or somesuch.

I feel as though the cue is slightly butt-heavy. Has anyone else had the same experience with Pechauers?

Thanks.

Default of course...

right after I posted I found this, which answers the first part of my question:

BLACK: .7 OZ
    BROWN: 1.1 OZ
    YELLOW: 1.4 OZ
    GREEN: 1.8 OZ
    BLUE: 2.1 OZ
    ORANGE: 2.5 OZ
    WHITE: 3.1 OZ
    RED: 3.7 OZ
    GOLD: 4.4 OZ

The first thing that comes to mind would be the balance of the cue. If you completely remove the weight bolt, appr 1.4 oz in this instance the balance of the cue would be pushed forward. Not to mention that a 1.4 oz change in the weight of your stick sounds like a pretty big jump. I don't know what Pechauer charges for their weight bolts, but they can't be that much. Buy a couple and play around with them until you find a combination that you are comfortable with.

As far as the bolt buzzing upon reinstalling it. That should be easy to take care of. First I would reinstall it as is. If buzzing does occur, pull it back out and put a little teflon tape on it or something of the sort. Anything that will take up the small amount of slack, if any, left from taking it out in the first place. Or as a last result, when you find a combination you are happy with and don't have any plans to sell the cue, glue it in with a good epoxy that bonds to both wood and metal. As long as you realize that removal after that point could cause damage to the cue.
    Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look
    at the way he moves. Like a dancer.
    And them fingers, them chubby fingers. And that stroke. It's like he's, uh, like he's playing a
    violin or something.

Default YEP

Yes nathar is correct in saying that you will feel the balance of the cue shift . Alot of break cues use this principal by adding more weight to the shaft end of the cue to create a more solid hit. Usualy you want the balance point of a cue near the top end of the wrap or around 7 inches from where they grip the butt. You can find the balance point by balancing the cue on two fingers and moving your fingers untill the cue no longer moves.
    Hope that little spiel helps,

Default Loc Tite

O yea and as far as the electrical tape idea or silicon.. Loctite works much better. For one the bolt will stay in place.. Two there is more contact between the bolt and the outer wood shell. And three, you will be able to remove the weight bolt (with a little force)

I would try and stay away from the locktite, it could also create some problems with the wood inside, not to mention possibly void a warranty. I would stick with electrical tape or plumbing thread (used around the threads of pipes to keep it from leaking). Either of this should work more than well enough and you shouldn't have to use any excessive force to remove them and wouldn't harm the cue.

The reason I stated teflon tape is because it is very thin and has no adhesive. Electrical tape would not leave much of the threads for grip on the wood. Teflon tape tends to mold to the shape of the bolt, and removal in the future would still be a relatively easy task.
    Boy, he is great! Jeez, that old fat man. Look
    at the way he moves. Like a dancer.
    And them fingers, them chubby fingers. And that stroke. It's like he's, uh, like he's playing a
    violin or something.

Thread Information