Thread: Simonis vs. Championship cloth

Default Simonis vs. Championship cloth

Has anyone compared Simonis and Championship cloths? Was there a big difference? Which type of Championship cloth plays closest to Simonis 860? Is Championship Titan 3078 the only Championship cloth that comes in several colors?

Thanks,
    Dodge

scott long Guest

Default Simonis vs. Championship cloth

I, too, was hoping somebody would post a reply about the differences in the cloths and have been checking this one almost every day in anticipation but nobody has replied yet. That's odd...surely somebody must have an opinion.

Along the same lines, can anyone compare Granito cloth with Simonis? I have Simonis on my home table now and love it...but sooner or later it'll need to be changed and maybe I can find something just as good ( but less expensive!).

Sorry guys, must have missed it. I will let you know what I think about the two.

First off, Simonis is of course great cloth.

Now, if you go to championship cloth, you have to buy the 3030 Tour Edition. This is also Great Cloth. Slightly faster than Simonis 860. Takes english very well.

These are just my opinions but here goes.
    If you use Simonis, you have to be very careful about how you install the cloth because of the tiger strips, more wrinkles and it is not as easy to stretch.

The 3030 is a 70/30 blend which is compareable to 760 Simonis, but is a heavier cloth, 24oz. This cloth stretches easier and will not show tiger strips.
    Thanks,
    Sid

Default My experience playing on Simonis versus Granito cloth......

I've been waiting to get some playing time on a recently recovered Brunswick Gold Crown that was recovered about two weeks ago with Granito cloth (two of the best local one pocket players seem to always be on this table). Anyway, yesterday was my day to finally get to check the table out.

I must say I really liked the way the Granito played BUT it was super fast......I was regularly overshooting position by a few inches when there was any length involved over 3 to 4 feet.

A BIG PLUS......the cloth seemed to track better and there was a noticeable improvement in the racks sticking together......READ more balls were falling on the breaks. My guess is that the Granito cloth simply stretches better over the slate than Simonis does thereby making it more uniform.

Hope this helps...... 8)
    Stay in stroke......

Default Re: My experience playing on Simonis versus Granito cloth...

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTime
    A BIG PLUS......the cloth seemed to track better and there was a noticeable improvement in the racks sticking together......READ more balls were falling on the breaks.
    That is probably due to the fact that it is newer felt and there has not been as many different dents made by breaks from the first ball in the rack. The more times a rack is slid up in slightly different positions and then hammered in by the break, the harder it will be to get a tight rack.
    Thanks,
    Sid

scott long Guest

I'm glad to hear that the Granito cloth played decently. I currently have Simonis on my Gold Crown and it is still in excellent shape but when the time comes to replace it, I will consider trying the Granito cloth. From what I have seen, it is a little bit less expensive than Simonis.

I wonder if Granito wears as well as Simonis does. I've had Simonis on two different tables. The first one (which the ex-wife got to keep) had the cloth for over 4yrs the last time I played on it and it was still almost like new. Of course, I don't play much 9-ball with it's super-hard breaks, but did play a lot of 8-ball in addition to straight pool.

My current table came from a WPBA tournament and has the original cloth that the pros were using. There are a few marks on the cloth from where the pros were breaking for 9-ball but even they are more cosmetic and don't seem to affect the roll of the balls at all. Simonis is great cloth but I am not against trying another kind if I think it will be as good or better.

I've had cheaper cloth on my tables before and a friend of mine still has the 'standard' cloth that came with his table a few years ago and neither of those held up very well and looked very used and worn within a year.

Can Simonis be glued to the slate? I think I remember hearing that it isn't good for that. I have a Kasson Voyager 8' with Mali (it came with the table) cloth and it is sloooowwwww. I want to replace it with Simonis 860 but I don't know if it can be installed by gluing. Thanks in advance

Thread Information