PDA

View Full Version : question about schon...help please.

ian
08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
hi i really wanna buy schon,. but i don't know anything about schon.
i have a question,
what the diffrent between schon runde era and schon sp?
and which one is better?
and if i buy it from ebay, is it a real schon?

please help me, or may be someone, can tell me where can i buy one of those schon above.

or email me please.
coszy@hotmail.comou
thank you

DEATHTRON
08-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Runde era schons are when Mr. Runde was making Schons back quite a few years ago....his point are very sharp, however todays Schons (by Evan Clarke) Are rounded suggesting a CNC mill. You always take a risk when buying from ebay that you might not get what you actually are thinking...you have to factor that in your buying. However, it is safe to say most of the time that people with high feed back that sell alot of pool stuff are not actually stiffing you...its the people with no feedback that you should worry about.

Zach

ian
08-20-2005, 02:17 AM
thank you for the information.
so do you have any sugestion, where i can buy one of those cue?
if u have a chance, whic one u'll buy, runde era or schon sp?

cos, at ebay now, there is a schon sp cue.
thank you

ps.
what is CNC mill?

DEATHTRON
08-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I would buy whatever Schon I liked the looks of because Im not a fan of many of their cues. A CNC mill means that a machine used a drill bit to carve out the point, but since it uses at drill bit it can only make a dull point. Hand carved cues can be sharp and most of the time are. I dont know where you would really try to buy Schons, seyberts doesnt have many on the net, but maybe call them and ask. If not I would try looking somewhere else, maybe like Hawleys (i know they have a large selection, but at a heft price), but call Seyberts they will be able to beat Hawleys price any day of the week and probably get you the schon you want if its new.

Zach

skor
08-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I rather get a cue with rounded points then getting a $2000 cue with sharp points that are not at the same hight, I know it's hard but if some of the custom cue makers can so the rest should get the job done as well, I've seen too many custom cues that cost so much money and the points are not at hte same hight, sorry but could drive me crazy.

ian
08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
what do you mean by sharp point?
sorry, because i don't really understand about cue.
and what do you mean by same hight?
plase help.
thank you

btw, i really like schon elite e11, but it's too expensive.
any idea?

DEATHTRON
08-21-2005, 08:55 PM
By sharp point we mean the tip of the point. Some points come to a very fine point and some are rounded.

Most points are made to be intentionally the same height, however, some cue makers points that are made to be the same height are not, and when side by side this doesnt look the best.

If the cue you like is too expensive then save your money, you wont be happy until you get the one you want.

Zach

ian
08-31-2005, 05:37 AM
thank you for ur information.
by the way, i bought schon runde.
and im happy about it.

thanks guys.

dags_lax
08-31-2005, 11:05 AM
A little late to this thread but given the choice I would get a Runde era Schon for collectable reasons. Bob Runde sold out his interest in Schon in 1992.

showboat
09-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I would go with the Runde era Schons aswell....the newer ones.....I would pass on....look for a good used one on ebay.....be careful of bad sellers though....or locally, if possible....

09-04-2005, 03:32 AM
What's wrong with the new schon cues made by evan clark ?

showboat
09-04-2005, 11:53 AM
If you buy a early Schon, you can get a good used one for the same price and ,IMHO, when they're made on a CNC machine they just have that Lucasi look. In other words > mass produced....

skor
09-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually they are not mass produced, the unique line are cues that are one of a kind, the elite and ltd are limited, and the stl are made in a limited number each year and Evan always change something in them, could be colors of vener or type of ring etc. I've been trying to find an stl cue for quite sometime and I still can't find it in the version and weight I'm looking for, I don't think that I would have this kind of problem with a lucasi or any other mass production cue.

showboat
09-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I just have a thing against CNC made cues, I guess....LOLz....however if you see a Schon you like...buy it.... :D

skor
09-04-2005, 12:51 PM
99% of cue makers use cnc machine or other machines to cut inlays or do other work on the cue, probem is that most cue makers buy cheap machines that do not a good work and they have to finish the cuts buy hand. however there are a few cue makers out there that have top of the line cnc machine that can cut inlays very very sharp

09-04-2005, 07:37 PM
:o most cue makers use a lathe with a router to cut the sharp points, it takes way to long by hand and looks better than cnc, and they come out even in length if measured properly. rounded points do look like mass production, but on the other hand how many people are wanting to get rid of there schons?

skor
09-04-2005, 07:52 PM
:o most cue makers use a lathe with a router to cut the sharp points, it takes way to long by hand and looks better than cnc

A cnc machine is just the same, the only difference is that instead of moving the router by hand, it moves automatically following a drawing made on a computer, if you get a really high end cnc routers, you can get sharp points, here is a link to a company that makes this type of cnc routers http://www.techno-isel.com/CNC_Routers/CNCRouter.htm
JOSEY CUSTOM CUES and BILL MCDANIEL are two costom cue makers that use this cnc router for their inlays and they do make sharp inlays, those cnc routers cost a tens of thousand dollars, the routers that are used by most cue makers cost just a few thousands dollars.

Standbykid
09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Ian, try a CX series Schon. The CX line is a more affordable line than the LTD, SP or Elite series. However they play just as well as the more expensive Schon lines. I'm pretty sure Seybert's carries the whole CX line, so you'll have plenty of choices.

ian
09-09-2005, 07:58 PM
thank you so much for the input.
finally i bought what i want.

Runde 03-S

i have the pic, but don't know how to share it with you guys here. :wink:

does any one know, how can i identify my cue with Mr.bob runde :?: