PDA

View Full Version : In General... What's the hardest shot in pool???

audiopro
10-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Shooting when the CB is frozen on the rail...

You know these shots... They seem to be the most difficult.. Why is easy... Because you can only hit the top of the ball, and the slightest variance of being right or left will affect the direction of the CB.. This has long been my stumbling block.. Any of the more seasoned players wanna ante' up some advice on how to deal with these shots?? dags, Skor, Rick???

Practice of course is obvious, but what else is in the hat??

skor
10-02-2004, 09:33 PM
when the CB is frozen to the rail, what you have to do is look for for the highest point on the cue ball, that point is the center of the cue ball, and you should aim to hit that point, a good solid bridge will help a lot with these kind od shots.

One of the hardest shot in my opinion is when the cue ball is by a corner pocket and the object ball is in the center of the table, pocketing the object ball in the diagonal corner pocket, in this shot the distance between the cue ball to the object ball and the distance betwwen the object ball to the pocket is equal and a lot of things can go wrong, good aim and smooth stroke are the keys to make this shot

audiopro
10-02-2004, 09:41 PM
You're right, that is another on of those PITA shots... Lots of green, and lots of room for error...

Someone once gave me what I think is good advice when shooting railed shots... "You have plenty of cue ball there, just pretend you are making a shot using some top." This is pure psychological advice.. And in a lot of ways I have applied it to my game, such as hitting the CB while bridging over balls and such... It really has helped to think positive in that this shot is no different than any other, and to, for lack of a better term make like Nike and, "Just do it!"

The solid bridge part I can do.. I will run a few practice drills with hitting the highest point on the CB.. Thanks Skor.. But uh.... Do you ever leave this forum!??!? ;)

audiopro
10-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Wow.... That was great advice Skor... I just ran 11, long green rail shots, using that methodology... I guess it deletes a lot of room for error and makes ya concentrate on hitting that top portion, which is the center...

Gotta love games where mechanics are key... Nothing else to blame but yourself when you miss, and nothing else to praise when ya sink em!! ;)

skor
10-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I was offline for almost a week.... :)

bridging over a ball is a hard one as well, a good advice I got on this one is once you aim just let the cue slide/drop into the cue ball, it works for me :)

audiopro
10-02-2004, 10:00 PM
As slow as it has been here lately, minus the political hooplah, I cant believe it has been a week since you last post... What did ya do, take vacation time!?!?! ;)

Fortunately, for some odd reason, shooting over balls seems to always work out great for me.. Almost like a secret weapon... Just darn rails for some reason hang me up... Going to keep hitting balls using your advice though, seems to be working VERY well...

As a side note: remind me never to put money on any games chance might have that we play against each other... As an alternative side note, remind me to always pick you for being on my team if we ever were to happen upon a doubles match!!

skor
10-02-2004, 10:10 PM
I took some time off work to move to a new apartment so my pc was packed somewhere so I realy didn't have any access to the net, I'm just setting up in my new place.
I would love to be your partner in some doubles action but I don't think that I'll be in your neighborhood any time in the near future ;)

Billy_Bob
10-03-2004, 12:05 PM
I have the most difficulty with the cue ball tightly frozen to another ball and having to shoot over the other ball to hit the cue ball. This is worse than the cue ball frozen to a rail because the object ball is higher than the rail and you need to angle your stick up in the air to hit the cue ball. Someone told me to aim level for these shots, then bring your cue butt straight up, then shoot. I have trouble with the "bring your cue butt straight up" part.

*Warning*! Don't try the following - it could rip the cloth or damage the rails! ...With the cue ball frozen to the rail, I read somewhere that you can angle your stick up about 60 degrees and then shoot it into the rail about a quarter of an inch away from the cue ball. Just drive it into the rail. Then you get draw. I tried this on my table before I recovered it. It worked. I actually got draw from a frozen to the rail cue ball!

Also I read that someone used a closed bridge on cue ball frozen to the rail shots. I've tried this, but my tip rolls over the top of the ball and the ball moves only a few inches.

skor
10-03-2004, 02:37 PM
I found this great article on billiard basics :
http://www.cuecare.com/poolschool.htm
you may say that you know it BUT do you follow ?
it is always good to go through the basics again and see if you are realy doing it right.
All the hardest shot that we face will be much easier once we master the basics.
enjoy the reading..;)

poolguy123
10-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Some advice I received from RSB about a year ago helped me tremendously with "on the rail" shots.

Yes, as skor said center ball is mandatory
and of course ALL the fundamentals,

focus on a nice smooth straight pendulum stroke
shoot softly- with a SHORT stroke- no big follow thru
have confidence that you'll make most of them

I not sure I know why the short stroke is such a big help- but for me at least it has improved my percentage of making balls.

Of course soft is not always the desirable leave, but to start with it gets your confidence up so you can begin to really try to stroke thru a shot like that and get somewhere if need be.

It's just what I do...........Jim

poolguy123
10-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Coincidentally, I just tried skor's other shot from in the pocket to the other diagonal corner about 2 hours ago. I have seen a good player do this at the bar I play league at. To me, it seemed at the time way over my head and not worth getting all flustered about. I guessed at the time that at best I could probably only make 1/20! That's one tough shot.

Well, I've been practicing some jacked up shots lately and when that shot appeared in my brain earlier this evening, I thought "what the hey"- never know 'till you try.

I made the second attempt and then went about 10 tries before I got another. Then it hit me- this is a shot where alignment of your stance is EVERYTHING! 'Cause you can hardly see down the aiming line with the cue up high like that. It's almost like setting up a shot and then closing your eyes. If you do it right it will go in.

So after making it off and on a few more times (It's easy to miss that shot by over a foot!) I began to get the feel of what lined up and stroked straight really felt like. I was able to get 2 in a row, then 3, then I kept trying until I hit 3 in a row again and then canned the 4th also! 5 was not to be. I quit while I was ahead! Had some different tired muscles after just a few minutes of that shot. That was kind of odd also.

So I spent 15 minutes on what I thought was virtually impossible for me to execute and I have conquered the fear of it at least! I'll be giving that a go again soon. Jim

skor
10-13-2004, 05:33 AM
well done :)

10-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Shooting over balls has always been my least consistently made shot. I tried everything in the world to get better at it and one day seeing my frustration a friend of mine who is a great player suggested that I grip the butt end of the cue a little tighter. I'd never heard that but tried it anyways and after a little practice I started pocketing the same shot about twice as much as I was before. Not really sure why it works but might want to give it a try.