PDA

View Full Version : 12mm vs 13mm

coy
03-28-2002, 01:03 PM
which does what? I have a 12mm and a 13mm shaft for my cue I play with the 12mm because I feel that I have more controll of the cue ball. Is this true. Can more spin be produced via a smaller shaft? How will the shaft size effect my ablity to controll the object ball.

03-28-2002, 01:22 PM
the question is not 12 or 13mm BUT how big your hands are. consider buying a size 15 shoe size but your feet are snall do you still want to buy the size 15 shoes? NO get the one that fits your feet.

Kokopuffs
03-28-2002, 03:26 PM
That's what I've heard recently, that the shaft should fit one's hand. Otherwise there's too much "instability" built into one's stroke.

conehead66
06-12-2003, 06:12 AM
That's what I've heard recently, that the shaft should fit one's hand. Otherwise there's too much "instability" built into one's stroke.

If that's a problem then get a cue with a pro taper and your "instability will disappear" , besides , that only counts if your using a loop bridge . You also have to consider Pro Snooker players , they need the most "stable" stroke of all cue sports yet the tip size is often under 10mm and the cues "never" have a pro taper

dags_lax
06-12-2003, 11:41 AM

If that's a problem then get a cue with a pro taper and your "instability will disappear" , besides , that only counts if your using a loop bridge . You also have to consider Pro Snooker players , they need the most "stable" stroke of all cue sports yet the tip size is often under 10mm and the cues "never" have a pro taper

On the other extreme consider the three cushion players. They tend to use thicker shafts with the more conical, european tapers.

For most players it just takes some time at the table to get used to a different diameter/taper combination. With the exception of a child's hand, I don't think there are any inherent stability problems, regardless of shaft size.

dags_lax
06-12-2003, 11:51 AM
A stiffer shaft, with a more conical taper and a larger tip diameter will give you more precise control over the cue ball than a thinner, more tapered shaft with a smaller tip diameter will. By more control I mean more precise positioning of the cue ball.

Imagine straight in shot, the cue ball four feet from the object ball, the object ball four feet from the pocket. For the purpose of position you need to have the cue ball follow the object ball two to three inches, any more or any less and your window through the interfering balls to your next object ball disappears. While a difficult leave to get, for us mere mortals this shot can be accomplished more consistently using the thicker, stiffer shaft.

The drawbacks of a thicker and stiffer shaft are: 1) less spin can be put on the cue ball and: 2) more squirt on the cue ball due to greater mass (there is just more plastic and wood on the end of the cue).

A side note unrelated to the 12mm vs 13mm question. A harder tip will give a player more control over the cue ball. That control comes at a price though, less spin applied to the cue ball.